Friday, August 29, 2008

Gear Review: Daily Rock Wildwood Artist Acoustic/Electric Guitar

My first experience with Daisy Rock gear was with this guitar, when I managed to win it in a contest held on a Metal web site. How exactly an acoustic guitar got paired up with a site devoted to a genre not known for acoustics, I'll never know. But I digress.

Okay, I am a guy, so having a guitar from a company whose promotional materials boast "Daisy Rock Girl Guitars", it does take a certain sense of self to play it. (At least I got the Rainbow Sparkle finish, which really looks mostly black. The other one in production when I got this was Pink Burst. Impossible to retain any machismo while playing that!)

Let's go over some of the vitals: The Body is a single cutaway design built from maple with a spruce top, mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard. It comes strung with D'Addario EXP 11 strings, which have a really warm tone on this guitar. Since this is an acoustic/electric, there is an additional panel on the upper side of the guitar with the controls. The built-in electronics include an electronic tuner, 2 band active EQ, and a master volume control. The controls are clean and free of any noise/popping/clicking when changing them. The 1/4" line out jack is on the bottom curve of the body, which keeps it nicely out of the way.

As an acoustic guitar, this is a fine piece of workmanship. The neck is a little smaller than most acoustics, which makes getting around the neck a lot easier. The tone, I must say, is wonderful. It has wonderful resonance and it has a lot of character to the tone.

I'm not going to say it is the ideal guitar for cheap recording, since it is out of my normal "budget gear" range. It is less ideal for a home studio (unless you live alone) mainly because it is acoustic (i.e. no way to turn it down), but it is still a sweet piece of gear.

Suggested Retail price is $569.00, but the average street price I've seen is around $400.

No comments: