Friday, July 10, 2009

Troll Cave Gear

I've had a few questions recently about what gear I'm currently using in my studio, so I thought it was about time to give a quick breakdown on my studio equipment. I will update this list as I add or remove gear.

Guitars
Washburn Idol Series WI-64
Samick Strat (80's vintage, I think)
Daisy Rock Wildwood Artist Acoustic/Electric
Daisy Rock Mojo Jojo Guitar (for decoration, mostly)

Bass Guitar
Canvas Bass CTFB10

Microphones
Peavy PVi2 Microphone (XLR)
Battlerap.com branded microphone (1/4")
Radio Shack Realistic micphone (1/4")
3 or 4 random generic PC microphones (mini plug)

Interface Hardware
Line 6 UX1 (Blackface)
M-Audio KeyStudio 25
Steinberg USB-2-MIDI Interface (2 x 2)

Misc. Guitar Hardware
Danelectro Black Coffee Metal Distortion Pedal
Epiphone Studio 10S practice amp

Monitors
Audiovox Home Theater System (junk, but it's all I have)

Computers
Dell 3.4 GHz Hyperthreaded CPU, 3 GB RAM (primary), Win XP SP3
Compaq 1.4 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM (slave), Win XP MCE
Dell 933 Mhz CPU, 512 MB RAM (slave), Win ME

Software
REAPER (primary DAW)
Psycle (nice retro tracker)
Audacity (sample editor)
Session (junk)
MIDI-OX (great for monitoring MIDI signals)
MIDIYoke (virtual MIDI cables to connect MIDI programs)

VSTs
I have a massive collection of several hundred VSTs (all free except for POD Farm)
My current favorites are:
POD Farm
Independence Free
ShortCircuit 1
Tweakbench plugs
GTG plugs
Kjaerhus Audio Classic series
ArcDev Noise Industries plugs


If you are interested in finding out more about any of my gear (buying recommendations, reviews, etc) drop me a line.

2 comments:

Glenn Selby said...

It looks like you've got good bones in your system. I would recommend a couple of things. First, lose the Radio Shack mic. Even if you don't throw it away, I would never list it in my gear. Second, I agree with you on the Audiovox monitors. I know it's a good chucnk of money, but if you don't have good monitos, it's like mixing with ear muffs on... you just won't hear correctly. Other than that I might add a Tackamine acoustic/electric guitar to the collection.

Take care and MIX ON!

Paul said...

I beg to differ on the Radio Shack mic. It's good for gritty, old-school vocals. I've cut quite a few demos with it, and it really holds up. Sometimes it's easier to record your vocals with a little extra grit than worry about adding it later.

The new monitors are going to be added in the next few months. Probably KRK Rokit 5G2's (or larger, if I can afford it). For now I'm not doing any final mix-downs until I get those added.

For the acoustic/electric, I'm pretty much in love with my Daisy Rock Wildwood. It is a great quality instrument with a very full, silky tone. But I'll keep my eye out for a Tak to try out.

Thanks for the input!