Saturday, September 20, 2008

Gear Review: M-Audio KeyStudio 25

I came to the realization very early on my musical career that it is basically impossible to let your creativity free-flow while programming your tunes one note at a time, either using a normal PC keyboard or by clicking on notes on the screen. Don't get me wrong, there is a place and time where alternate entry forms, like a piano roll are appropriate, but it is no match for noodling on an actual music keyboard and having tunes pop out at you.

What I Needed
My requirements were simple: I needed a keyboard controller that was not very expensive, small enough to not get in the way when I didn't need it, have some level of controls beyond just piano keys. My search led me scouring the web until I found a MIDI controller that seemed to fit the bill, and to me, seems to be completely overlooked by musicians.

What I Found
The KeyStudio 25 from M-Audio is a wonderful 25 key MIDI controller, with velocity-sensitive keys, Pitch Bender, 8 assignable knobs, 8 assignable buttons, Octave change buttons, support for a sustain pedal, volume slider, and a host of other on-board functions, it can draw power from the USB port or from an external power supply, and has a power switch so you don't have to unplug it whenever you are done with it. There, I've gotten the main list taken care of. Oh, yes, it comes bundled with Session, which pretends to be a music program but is a beginner's toy, mostly useful only if you want to see if the keyboard works. (I'll write more about Session at another time).

Ease Of Use
To get this keyboard fired up, you can just plug it into the USB port and turn it on. If you want Windows to use the proper driver, you can install M-Audio's software. I was using the keyboard fine before I ever installed from the CD. Anyway, I tried it out with REAPER, and once I changed my input to this device (which oddly shows as USB 02 In, perhaps showing off that it is in fact based on the O2 line of more expensive M-Audio controllers), it worked like a charm.

Keyed Up
The keys have a good weight to them - nowhere near as heavy as a real piano, but they have enough mass that this doesn't feel like a toy. The keys themselves seem to be OK for a home studio, but I definitely wouldn't want to take this out as a touring keyboard. The plastic keys seem like they might be a bit more fragile, though I haven't (and won't) subject the keyboard to any stress tests. In my testing, the velocity sensitivity on the keys is captured and encoded properly, so your DAW will get an accurate recording of your playing.

We Have Control
The part I like best about the keyboard is probably the assignable knobs and buttons. If you desire, you can remap nearly everything on the keyboard to an alternate MIDI command trigger. Want to send a note with a button (instead of a key)? No problem. Remap the pitch bend control to be a different control? Easy. I usually keep the knobs and buttons at their defaults and use the "MIDI Learn" in my DAW so I don't have to keep monkeying about with different settings for different songs/projects.

Software Blips and Glitches
My biggest unhappiness is really with M-Audio's software. Not only am I disappointed with their Session software, but the KeyStudio 25 manual says I can use their "Enigma" configuration and librarian software for this keyboard - just download it from their site. On their site, it does NOT list this keyboard as being compatible. I downloaded it anyway, only to discover it doesn't load at all. Apparently, Windows XP Media Center Edition is not an officially supported OS, although every other Windows OS is supported. I have seen this on other products before, and I'm really not sure why companies seem to have gone out of their way to ignore support for users who bought new PCs in the 2005-2006 time frame.
It does, however, come with 21 generally decent VSTs as part of the Session installation. These are standard VSTs, and you can point your DAW at them. There's nothing amazing about them, but they do seem to be stable and produce reliable results.
Still, I bought this for the controller. Everything else I like is gravy to me.

Big Brother
There is a big brother to this keyboard, which is a 49 key controller for about the same price. The 49 key keyboard is missing the assignable knobs and buttons, but does come with an built-in audio interface and a piano sound. Whoopee. I'd rather have the extra knobs for the control aspect, and I am using it as a programming tool more than a performance device, so who needs the piano sound?

Another Way To Get It?
I'm not positive, but I believe M-Audio's KeyRig 25 package comes with this same controller, but with their KeyRig software instead of Session. I'm not positive, but the features list and the pictures look identical.

Wrap It Up, I'll Take It
At the end of the day, I have to say I'm still very happy with my purchase of this MIDI keyboard controller. It is compact, but still feels good to play, and it gives me a mini-control surface that I can use for minor fiddling with my DAW settings. It is too small a keyboard for "serious" keyboardists and pianists, but my use is more as a scratch-pad input device. For that purpose, this is a stellar keyboard.

The major music retailers don't appear to carry this, but I've found it at Best Buy (in-store only) as well as at Amazon.com. Street price is around $100.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rockin! m-audio equipment is very good if you can get past the compatability issues.

Unknown said...

How did you get Session to work with XP Media Center? I just purchased the KeyStudio25 and am running Media Center. I got the keyboard to work with Reaper but would like to set up Session too.

Paul said...

Teddy - I'm really not sure how I got it to work under MCE. I can't remember if it worked under Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 - but I know it only worked under ONE of those service pack releases. I think it worked under SP3, but I'm not sure.

Compatibility is the big risk with XP MCE - some audio apps work one day and break the next. (Though REAPER has always been stable for me.

Sorry I can't fill in more blanks on how to get it to work.

Nick (music-betrayer) H. said...

Hey Paul,
Nice review! Just a quick question: I'm def not a newb to music, music theory, performance OR tech...etc. HOWEVER I am a newb to the combination of the two re: all of this M-audio equipment/software I recently purchased off woot.com (I bought the mic, torq mixer, keystudio 25 and the low end studio speakers from sellout.woot....couldn't help it..great deals)!
Anyway, on to that question-
Just wondering about the response lag (latency?) between this little midi controller and the sound coming out of session into my headphones (is it because of the limitations of the usb connection? if so, would the midi out fix that issue I have midi-midi, for my ancient nanosynth, and midi- usb cords).

Also, why isn't it accurate? What I mean by that is..um, it doesn't seem to play back exactly what I play on the keyboard...what I hear seems to be all pretty and in time/sync/quantized? Sounds good and everything..makes for great minimalistic, Glass-esque kinda stuff but...it's not accurate..not the honesty of response I'm looking for.
Perhaps my settings aren't optimized properly? Perhaps I need a mac/better comp (duh)? I haven't tried session with my full-sized midi controller yet...is it Session or the keystudio at fault?

Finally (haha sorry...but you seem knowledgeable and thorough) I'm looking into how exactly i am going to start using all of this stuff (i've been meaning to get back into this for a while..but been so busy...FT student + FT job) BUT, in re: to software....Session is a sort of lame knock off of garageband...
Right now, I have a few names floating around in my inexperienced mind (so, what's your opinion or if you don't feel qualified to answer, I'll move on to other forums/research):
Logic, Reason, ProTools LE (have it but...no Mbox), Finale '09 + garritan (have it), Audacity (have it), um...actually, i can't think of the other ones..well, I can…but I’m not all too familiar with any of them…like Final Cut Pro (I think for video production), and something like Director cut or Sountrack something or other….I'll get back to you on that haha…

Here:
What am I trying to do? mmm, I think I’m going to compose some classical orchestral pieces and jazz combo/arrangement stuff, some "I'm-my-own-band" kinda recordings with my real instruments/voice recording and overdubbing/editing, and some electronic(a)/techno/experimental stuff.

Haha, thanks in advance and if you don't understand my question...I'd be glad to clarify!
-Nick H.

Paul said...

Nick -

Sorry you're having troubles with latency, but I think I can help you out. In Session, check the Options->Audio Hardware... menu. You should see radio buttons with two options at the top: ASIO or WDM. I'm going to bet it's set to WDM. WDM is a Windows driver, and frankly, it's crap for audio. I just turned mine over to WDM, and everything came out crackled and distorted badly enough I couldn't really tell if there is a lag or not.

ASIO is the way to go. Since you didn't mention buying a new sound card, I'm going to bet it doesn't come with an ASIO driver. I would recommend using ASIO4ALL. Check my post on it here. ASIO4ALL is free, and it will probably help you out with Session.

But the bigger problem is using Session at all. Like you said, it's basically a Garageband knock-off, and they didn't do a very good job of it. After all, M-Audio wants you to buy Pro Tools, right?

Since you sound like you're on a limited budget (aren't we all?) I would recommend you check out REAPER. If you browse through my posts, I'm definitely a REAPER advocate, because it is a strong program for ANY audio work. You can download it as a free trial that is not time limited and it's not crippled. Use it until you're comfortable with it, and then the current cost to register it is $60 - about the same price as buying the standalone version of Session. And REAPER is in the same category as the big boys (Ableton Live, Pro Tools, etc), but the REAPER team doesn't try to bleed you dry like the other companies. It will let you do live recording, MIDI tracking, and do them together at the same time with UNLIMITED TRACKS. I have links to REAPER here. And REAPER works extremely well with ASIO4ALL as the driver, and it works well with the KeyStudio, too.

If you're still having config problems, send me an email with more details and I'll see what I can do to help.

Unknown said...

Paul, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about Reaper. Is there a way to download or import any new patches that I can use with my keystudio25, or am I stuck with the Reaper "create-your-own crappy synth" virtual instrument in Reaper?

Paul said...

Teddy - The KeyStudio is just a controller - it doesn't have patches the way a traditional synth would have. Instead, the entire noise-making components are software. REAPER allows you to use any VST (Virtual instrument) you want. (I agree with you, REAsynth sounds terrible and should be buried in an unmarked grave.)

I'd suggest checking out the Plug-In Database at http://www.kvraudio.com to get better plug-ins. I'd recommend looking at for FREE VSTs (the search box lets you limit to these parameters, and many more).

When you find what you like, make sure it is somewhere REAPER can find it. (I'd suggest making a folder called VST somewhere, and add it to REAPER's list of paths.) REAPER's VST paths can be found under Options->Preferences... Plug-Ins->VST.

There's no reason to suffer from bad sounds when there's a LOT of cool stuff out there for free. I'm a big fan of Tweakbench VSTs (search on "Tweakbench" on KVR). A few of his plugs are way beyond the comprehension if you're just starting out (esp. the granular synths). Check out Tweakbench's PRESSURE for a massive bass.

I plan on reviewing/comparing free plug-ins in future posts. Stay tuned for more recommendations!

Anonymous said...

Just Wondering Does it have an XLR input ?

Paul said...

No, the KeyStudio 25 is just a MIDI controller, so the only ports on it are one USB port and one MIDI Output. If you're looking for an interface with an XLR input, you should check out my Gear Review of the Line 6 UX1. It has both an XLR input and a 1/4" input.

Anonymous said...

M-Audio is a complete fail. Their products are trash. Roland, Korg, or even Yamaha are 10 times better. I purchased the keystaion 25 and hate it. The knobs do absolutely nothing (in Logic Studio), the keys aren't weighted, and half the functions don't work. Don't waste your money

Paul said...

I won't even presume to argue that M-Audio is better than Korg or Roland. However, most of the basic MIDI keyboards offered by Kong and Roland start at more than twice the price of the KeyStudio. (Unless you count the Korg Nano for $50, but it is basically the same as the KeyStudio, just smaller).

Most of the controls on the KeyStudio are not directly mapped to features in any specific DAW. You need to map them to your software. I have not found any features of the KeyStudio that didn't work - some of them simply didn't have anything on the computer listening/reacting to them.

I haven't had any problems with mine so far. Would I prefer higher-end tech? Absolutely. But for those of us who don't want to break the bank on gear, the KeyStudio is exactly what it appears to be: a budget controller.

wayne said...

ok,just gettin back in2 studio gear after 14 years away! need something nice n easy like session to ease me back into it. can i sample my own sounds n trigger them from the keyboard, can i use vsts,or should i be looking 4 something a bit more pro to do what i want? thanx..

Paul said...

Wayne - I'd really recommend NOT learning a "toy" like Session. I would suggest downloading REAPER, and walk through my beginner tutorials on it to get a feel for the basics. REAPER can be used as a simple tool (as simple as Session or GarageBand) or as a high powered tool. And it is available as a non-crippled evaluation version, so you're not out any money to get your feet wet again.

As for your specific questions: Session does allow you to record audio (or MIDI data), but I don't know if it lets you trigger the samples with MIDI - the manual has a lot about synth patches, but nothing about this specific case.

No VST support in Session. It has a couple dozen canned effects you can use, but no way to import new ones.

Welcome back to the music world!

wayne said...

thanx 4 the advice. my previous set up was an atari running notator, akai s950 sampler, and various synths. technology has come a long way since then!! im trying to get back into it all, without making any expensive mistakes, and im not sure which way to go about it.
my plan was to buy keystudio 25 and eventually move on to a better program. i had a look at reaper and it does seem very good, so thats probably what i will get.i was also impressed with propellerheads reason and would also like that, but its a lot more money. do you think i should work my way up through them, learning as i go,or dive straight into reason?
decisions,decisions ! ( ive asked the wife but she wasnt much help...)

Paul said...

The one issue I have with Reason (I have NOT used it at this point, but have friends who swear by it) is that it is expensive, but also that it is only a synth rack, and you need to buy Record as the companion app if you want to use recorded audio. Personally, I prefer to mix audio tracks and synth tracks at the same time. (REAPER treats both the same, so you can use the same VSTs on an Audio Track or a Synth Track)

List price right now for the Reason/Record bundle is $449 US. For REAPER, you can get the uncrippled trial version for free, and for a discounted registration (most people fit this category) is only $60 US.

They are both quality pieces of software, to be sure. Personally, I would start with REAPER mostly from a price point. When I see 2 items that could be comparable, I always start with the most affordable first, and see if it fits my needs.

Also - the Keystudio is just a controller, and it is not necessary to use either of the tools above. For the controller, if you're a "real" keyboard player, I'd suggest saving your pocket change for a higher end controller, as the keys might be a little cheap for someone who really knows their way around a keyboard.